Visit the Saintes maries de la mer
Les Saintes Maries de la Mer is considered to be the capital of the Camargue, a particularly well-known natural region in the south of France. Les Saintes Maries de la Mer are located in the Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur region.
An ideal place to rest and relax
Les Saintes Maries de la Mer is a superb Mediterranean seaside resort. During your holidays in the South of France, you will have many opportunities to do outdoor activities. Between horseback riding, seaside activities or walks in the natural region of the Camargue, you will live unforgettable experiences at Les Saintes Maries de la Mer!
Numerous activities are organised all year round at Les Saintes Maries de la Mer. Around the 14th of July, the commune organizes a Horse Fair, 3 days dedicated to the fundamentals of the Camargue identity: gypsy music, the horse and the bull.
A Camargue destination with a rich heritage
Les Saintes Maries de la Mer is also a place of pilgrimage for the community of Travellers who come every year, on May 24th, to honour their patron saint, Sarah the Black Virgin. Every year, more than 10,000 travellers meet at Les Saintes Maries de la Mer and bring the town to life with their customs.
Les Saintes Maries de la Mer has been a popular destination for a long time now. They were the subject of several artistic creations such as the canvas Les Barques à voile aux Saintes-Maries by Vincent van Gogh, painted in 1888.
The spa hotel of Mas des Rièges is located close to many tourist activities such as :
- The Saintes Maries de la Mer arenas built around 1930. These arenas are a high place for bullfighting (the art of facing the bull).
- Pilgrimages on 24 and 25 May to Les Saintes Maries de la Mer
- The fortified church dating from the 11th or 12th century and which was intended to protect the people of Saint-Sainte-Anne from a potential invasion by the Saracens.
- The Gacholle lighthouse, now automated, you will have the opportunity to take a picture of it during your excursions on the Saintes Maries de la Mer dike.
- The Camargue cross, symbol of the guardians and the Camargue. Ideal to go and see during a walk, this cross represents the fundamental virtues of the Camargue nation.
Near Les Saintes Maries de la Mer, you might also be interested in the Grau du Roi, a superb seaside resort to visit during your stay at Mas des Rièges.
The bullring of Les Saintes Maries de la Mer: